How to Play Roulette for Beginners
Among all those fascinating and enthralling games, roulette has always been so popular that it is featured in many mainstream movies. It is a game that, regardless of whether you’re playing it in a land-based or online casino, is opulent and luxurious. So no wonder people have been attracted to it for decades. For this reason, we have prepared a guide on how to play roulette for beginners.
If you’re more for some live action, then you’ll stand in front of a croupier. Their task is to throw a ball and spin the wheel. Once they do, everyone will wait for that ball to land in a pocket on the roulette wheel. From there on, everything depends on your luck and your ability to guess the right number or section. But as you probably already know, there’s one addition to the wheel that makes players nervous.
We’re referring to a green spot that represents a zero. Of course, in some variants, like in the American Roulette, there are two pockets for this number (0 and 00). This means that the house edge for this version is higher. In turn, your odds of winning will decrease. Namely, if a ball lands on it, then the house will win all the even-money bets. So you should learn the smartest way to play roulette. And that would be the following — always play European Roulette.
What Is the Difference Between the American and European Roulette?
For all those people who saw a Roulette game only in movies, you should know that there are two versions of this beloved casino game that dates back to the 17th century. Newbies may think this is a petty difference, but it positively affects your odds of winning.
The European wheel consists of 36 numbered pockets and a 0, while American roulette has an additional double 0 pocket. This additional pocket directly lowers your chances to win the game. Besides, the house edge on European Roulette is around 3%, while on the American wheel it is somewhat over 5%.
So whenever you can, choose a European Roulette to gamble on.
The Magic of the French Roulette
On the off chance that you can choose which roulette variant to play, we’d suggest trying the French one. The reason for this lies in its house edge, which is lower than for the other two. To be specific, it’s 1.35%. Like the European one, this type has 37 pockets with only one 0. Not only this, but it also employs one rule that will work in your favor — “La Partage.” Many articles on how to play roulette for beginners sing its praises because of it.
In this casino game, you’ll have an opportunity to retrieve half of your wager if you lose. In order for this to happen, the ball must land on the green spot. Another requisite is for you to have placed an outside wager. Some would say that this is the smartest way to play roulette. That is, find a casino which offers French Roulette and try your chances at winning by placing an even-money wager.
What Are the Main Elements of a Roulette Game?
In addition to the spinning wheel with numbered pockets and a ball, there is a Roulette table as well. On it, you can find a layout of all the roulette numbers following the same color pattern as on the wheel, i.e. red and black.
This layout may seem a little confusing to a novice player, but once you finish reading this text, every detail about the roulette game will fit in perfectly. There is an outer circle of differently marked fields that surrounds the center of the table filled with numbers, and this part of the table plays an important role in the Roulette game. I’ll go back to this later on when I get to the betting options.
Now that you know what a Roulette table and wheel look like, let’s see what you need to start the game. Another essential thing that sets this casino game apart from others is that there are special chips you can only use in a Roulette game. You can get these differently colored chips either for cash or chips that the casino you play in use.
Now that you got familiar with the essential elements of this game and you’ve obtained your Roulette chips, it is time to get familiar with various options you can choose to bet on.
What Different Kinds of Inside Bets are There?
These bets all include numbers that fill the inner area of the roulette table. I have to stress out the fact that they are arranged vertically, starting with number one in the lower left corner, and ending in the upper right corner of the roulette table with number 36. This layout is also divided into three equal parts containing 12 numbers each.
Here are the inside betting options you can choose from:
- You can try the Bond tactics and bet persistently on a single number. This is called a straight-up bet, and since the odds of hitting this are the lowest, straight-up bet pays out an amazing 35:1.
- You can choose two numbers side by side on the table, and spread your chips on them. This is the so-called split bet, and you win if either one of your numbers wins. You will get a 17:1 payout in case of winning this bet.
- If you decide to play for the game’s sake and try out different bets, there is also a corner bet you make when you put your money on four different numbers that form a square on the board. For example, 7,8,10 and 11. This bet will pay you eight times your original bet.
- You can also bet on three numbers in a row, which will get you 11:1 winning. This is known as a street bet.
- There is also a six-number bet that covers two vertical lines of numbers on the table and pays out 5:1. A five number bet is reserved for the seasoned players, and it is not recommendable for rookies to play. This is because it involves some hard-to-hit numbers like 0 and 00 or 1,2, and 3.
What Kinds of Outside Bets are There in a Roulette Game?
The outside bets, as their name says, are reserved for the outer fields of the Roulette betting table. Here you have various betting options offered, such as;
- Red or black — where you bet on the color of the winning number.
- Odd or even — you bet whether the odd or even number will come out.
- Low or high — here you have to choose between the low numbers (from 1 to 18) or the high numbers (from 19 to 36) on the table. All of the mentioned bets pay out 1:1.
- There is also a columns bet, where you can spread your chips on all twelve numbers in a horizontal line, or you can opt for betting on one of three vertical dozens on the Roulette table. Both of these options will pay 2:1 in case you win.
What Are the Minimum and Maximum Bet in Roulette?
Every casino game has a minimum amount of money you have to place as a bet to be able to gamble. You should find out what the minimum and maximum bets are in a Roulette game you want to play so that you can be sure that the game suits your bankroll. Bear in mind that different betting systems require different minimum bets.
If you choose to place a minimum bet of let’s say $1 on an inside bet, you would be able to spread that on several different bets. For example, you can use four $0.25 chips to make four different bets.
However, if you opt for an outside bet, you will have to choose one particular bet, and place the $1 minimum on it.
To sum it up, there are several simple tips you should follow to be ready to sit at the Roulette table and start this exciting game.
- Always chose the European Roulette because you will increase your chance of winning. Also, there is a lower house edge in this game.
- Do not choose the betting options you are not ready for. In other words, avoid the five-number bet.
- Always opt for an inside bet because you can spread a minimum bet on several different bets.
- Take care of your bankroll.
- Try playing a free Roulette game that numerous online casinos offer. By doing so, you will make sure you get the hang of it.
Some articles on roulette for beginners teach you that you should adopt certain strategies. Therefore, some players approach the roulette table and hope that they will help them guess the winning number. However, you should perceive them only as betting systems. There is no strategy that could exert any influence on this game of chance. But if you’re wondering how some players bet, we’ll examine the two most popular systems.
The Martingale Strategy
There are those who think that employing this strategy is the smartest way to play roulette. When they do, they make sure to place an even-money wager, as they provide around 50–50 chances. According to this system, it’s logical that your losing streak will end at one point. So after each loss, double your bet and hope for the best!
For instance, you might start at $2. And if the ball doesn’t land on the spot you chose, then you should double your bet. Follow this pattern until you get it right. And once you do win, just go back to your starting wager.
The Fibonacci Strategy
The Fibonacci system teaches players to follow a specific pattern. Firstly, you would need to determine the size of your bet. And then, the ensuing wagers depend on your luck. For instance, you should begin with $1 and bet this sum again if you lose. If the next round doesn’t work in your favor, then go with a $2 bet. If you lose again, then that wager has to be the sum of the previous two. In the end, if you win, just decrease the amount by two bets in the sequence.
Why They Are Not Effective
Unfortunately, both of these systems are risky. The main reason is that they do not exert any influence on the actual house edge. They just suggest how you should wager. In essence, they won’t help you reach a favorable outcome. Also, you can lose money sooner than you think it’s possible. Thus, for this game of chance, you should only rely on your luck and see where that takes you.
Now that you’ve read this guide on how to play roulette for beginners, you might want to put everything you’ve learned into action! Don’t waste any more time — start playing roulette now!